Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Canvas

I have asked permission from Lucy to post this poem of hers. Lucy has published an anthology of her poems, "Fragile World", which she put together in order to raise money for women in Darfur who have suffered horrific abuse, almost unseen by the eyes of the outside world.

I love this poem.

Come with me, be one tiny streak of brilliant white rather than choosing a safe passage to mediocrity.

Canvas

inspire me
do not leave me
in my world
of waste,
the place
where I crawl
inside my own
apathy.

strengthen me.
do not let me give in
to the voices
which say:
forget
what you do -
you will never change
the world.

remind me.
that on a canvas
composed
entirely of black,
one tiny streak
of brilliant white
can change the whole
picture.

(c) Lucy Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the words of Mrs Doyle in Father Ted, go on, go on, go on........

Leave me a wee message! Only rules - is it true, is it kind, is it necessary?